A Haute Mess
Meet Niki Blasina
Oh Niki. If you’ve never met her – you really need to. This girl is awesome. She’s the personal style blogger behind A Haute Mess, contributor at MTV FORA and on Fashion Magazine’s #StylePanel. She likes to hang out with her Alexander Wang out.
1. Full Name: Niki Blasina
2. Occupation: Graduate Student at Columbia University’s School of Journalism. Fashion Blogger. Freelance Writer.
3. In three words, describe your blog A Haute Mess. Fashion, Fun, and…. Shameless.
4. Fill in the blank: Peanut butter and jelly go together like fashion and _______________. A diet of only cigarettes and coffee. But seriously: Peanut butter and jelly go together like fashion and society. What people are wearing can be a huge indicator of what is going on in the world. For example, the economic downturn of 2008 coincided with a huge resurgence in minimalist dressing, literally, clothing with less frills and an attitude to invest in classic pieces and not spend money on trendier items. Much of this can be seen throughout recent history, especially during the decades of the 20th century. I won’t bore you by getting into it, but if you look at what people were wearing in periods like the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s, it very much makes sense given what was happening in other areas of life during that time.
5. Name about yourself that has never changed. I would say my sense of humour. I’ve always been able to laugh at things or make light of situations, unfortunately even when inappropriate.
6. If you could meet anyone – who would it be? The Queen. I’d beg her to let me into her crew.
7. What’s this season’s must have? Oxblood. And I don’t mean in a weird Angelina Jolie / Billy Bob keep a creepy vial around your neck, but the actual colour — oxblood can be less smarmily referred to as a burgundy or a maroon. This has always been one of my favourite fall colours so I’m excited that more people will be jumping on board. Wear it as a lipstick, or get a pair of oxblood shoes, or get a full oxblood coloured pantsuit or a wool coat. Just do it.
8. Name one fashion faux pas. Showing too much. Never dress like your hate your dad, or like Snooki. Remember, “when the legs come out to play, put the boobs away.” You can quote me on that. It’s all about balance, ladies!
9. What’s one thing in your closet that you can’t live without? It always changes. There’s always one piece I get obsessed with and wear way too much for a few months, and then I move on to something else. Right now it’s a vest from Club Monaco. And now that I’m living in New York my weak west coast skin can’t handle the cold weather, so when I’m at home I’m usually wearing my Snuggie. Fun fact. Oh and with clothes underneath, not hospital gown style.
10. If you could do a guest appearance on any sitcom, which one would you chose and why? Probably 30 Rock. It’s so well written and there’s never an episode where I don’t laugh out loud. And I really admire Tina Fey. If you haven’t read her book, you must!